Writing and Editing Experience
- Published Author, 2012 to Present. Has a vigorous creative writing practice and has published numerous poems and short stores. Is currently working on a three-part novel series. View all publications at her creative writing blog, Letters and Feathers.
- Content Writer, Editor, and Blogger with the Sierra College Marketing Department, 2016 to Present. Writing and editing content for print and online use. Imposing mechanical and stylistic consistency. Designing web pages and writing and editing social media content. Creating the new Sierra blog and writing the premiere articles, including conducting interviews. Writing press releases. Working with many ongoing projects and departments while staying organized and meeting deadlines. See portfolio below.
- Freelance editor, 2016 to present. Has edited everything from science fiction novels to literary magazines to research papers.
Writing and Editing Education
- Copyediting Certificate from UC San Diego, 120 class hours, Jan. 2016 to Jan. 2017. An expert in grammar and maintaining stylistic consistency. Adept at performing structural and line edits. Cumulative GPA: 4.0.
- Numerous Courses in English and Writing, 2005 to Present. An important component of her undergraduate education from Rutgers University, where she graduated in 2005 with a 3.95 GPA. Continues to take courses and workshops for professional development through Sierra College, Sierra Writers, Coursera, and more.
Writing and Editing Portfolio
Creative Writing Samples
- One of her best flash fiction stories Blood Red was made into a podcast, voiced by a professional actor.
- Her poem “In Voices Like Mine” was made into a music video by Subprimal, a highly competitive literary market.
- Her latest poems with Page & Spine, a professional market.
- See her full list of publications on her blog, which has over three thousand followers.
Blogs and Press Release for Sierra College
- Blog about Jonnie Terry, an LGBT studies faculty member at Sierra: The Spectrum Archives: Narratives of Courage Documentary Wins a Statewide Award
- Student interview, which Rachel conducted and then made into a blog: Meet Megan Tanahashi, Graphic Design Student and Co-President of the Feminist Action Club
- After Rachel coined the phrase “Darwin’s Armadillos” for this press release, the museum ended up using it for all of their marketing for this exhibit.
- View a before and after of the salon press release (view PDF).
Web Pages for Sierra College
Rachel rewrote and redesigned many, many web pages for Sierra College. Here are just a few examples:
- International Students
- Rachel rewrote and redesigned all of the Visit Us pages, though Rocklin Campus is her favorite!
- View a before and after of the Writing Center page rewrite (view PDF).
Printed Material for Sierra College
- The Sierra viewbook, which I wrote and then edited with feedback from the deans (view PDF).
- Proposal for Sierra viewbook—an example of my edits and comments (download Doc)
- I wrote these internal documents about working with the marketing department from an information dump: Marketing Events (view PDF) and Marketing Programs (view PDF)
- Three examples of a marketing campaign that I helped to edit and write for a Sierra Program: a brochure, flyer, and info insert (view PDFs).
- I worked closely with the marketing department to edit and refine Sierra’s branding guidelines: Sierra Brand Guidelines (view PDF) and Sierra Athletics Brand Guidelines (view PDF)